Buccal Fat Removal Overview
There is some rounded hollow mass of fatty tissue just beneath your chick bone is known as a buccal fat pad. Buccal fat removal surgery is a procedure for reducing that fat pad.
You might wonder, why your face looks like a “baby face” or why your face is so rounded. This is mostly because of the buccal fat pad. It’s located between the facial muscle under the cheekbone.
There is no medical necessity for buccal fat removal. But some people may find this unacceptable for beauty purposes.
In this case, the plastic surgeon may suggest you a buccal fat removal surgery. In this surgery, they will remove some fat from your buccal region, and your concern will be gone.
If you are thinking about this procedure. Please read the full article for preparing yourself and to know all about buccal fat removal procedures.
What is Buccal Fat Removal?
Buccal fat removal is a type of plastic surgery. In this procedure, the surgeon removes some extra fat from your buccal fat pad.
Which makes your cheek thinner and sharpens the angles.
Other Names of Buccal Fat Removal
- Buccal lipectomy
- Cheek reduction surgery
This surgery can be done along with some other surgical procedures.
There are including;
- Lip augmentation
- Botox injection
Best Candidate for Buccal Fat Removal
If you are thinking about this surgery. Make sure you are a good candidate and safe to undergo this surgery.
Otherwise, there will be more potential risks and complications.
Your surgeon will make sure that you are a good candidate. Here are some points he/she might look for;
- Your physical health is good or not.
- Your weight is healthy or not. The surgeon might prefer to check BMI in this case.
- You have a round face or not
- Why you want this surgery
- If you have pseudoherniation
- Are your expectations realistic or not
- Your smoking history
The surgeon may discourage you from this surgery if you have certain conditions.
- If your face is already thinner and the angles are perfectly visible. This means there is no necessary for buccal fat removal surgery for you as you already have a thin cheek.
- Progressive Hemifacial Atrophy – in this condition one side of the face shrinks progressively. In this condition, you cannot undergo buccal fat removal.
- If you are older. Because in the older people the buccal fat naturally decreases over time and the skin becomes loose.
- If you some other medical condition that may put you at risk if you undergo this procedure.
The surgeon may also recommend you some investigations for any concerns.
The plastic surgeon will look over all of the things. He/she will notify you if you are a good candidate or not.
Buccal Fat Removal Procedure
The procedure of any surgery has some steps. Such as; before, during, and after. Here we’ll discuss all of the steps and procedures for your better understanding.
Before The Procedure
Before the procedure, the surgeon will ask you some questions about your health conditions, expectations, allergic history, drug history, smoking and drinking history, etc.
The surgeon may recommend you to do some tests such as; x-ray.
After evaluation of all of those history and test results, the doctor may capture some images of your facial region.
You need to sign a consent paper before the surgery.
During The Procedure
The surgical procedure starts in the Operation Theatre or surgeons chamber with proper surgical facilities. Here are some steps you may go through;
- You’ll be given local anesthesia for this procedure. Local anesthesia won’t make you sleep. You may already felt this during dental surgery. You won’t feel any pain during the procedure. But you’ll be awake.
- As we mentioned earlier if the buccal fat removal is done with other surgeries. In this case, you will be given general anesthesia. In this case, you won’t be awake during the procedure. As there will be multiple surgeries, you may be moved from one OT to another OT.
- The surgeon will make an incision on the inside of your cheek through the mouth. Pressure will be given from the outside of the cheek to make the buccal fat prominent.
- The surgeon will remove some fat from the buccal fat pad.
- The surgeon will close the wound with stitches (dissolvable).
- You can wake up just after the procedure is done.
After The Procedure
You can leave the hospital right after the surgery.
The doctor will give you a special mouthwash to prevent infection inside the mouth and cheek. He/she will explain to you how to take care of the incision, how to eat, and how it affects your lifestyle for few days until recovery.
You need to eat liquid food for the first few days.
After that, you may need to visit the doctor before started eating soft foods. Finally, after the complete recovery is done you can eat as before.
The complete recovery of buccal fat removal surgery takes about 3 weeks.
You may feel some pain or soreness during the recovery period despite taking the doctor’s prescribed painkillers.
You may need several follow up during the recovery period.
You need to wait few months for the complete result. The cheek takes some time to set up to a new shape.
You may see some result or thinner feel in the cheek area just after few days. But for a complete result, you need to wait for some months.
Buccal Fat Removal Before and After
Buccal fat removal surgery is a safe procedure. Still, there can be some risks or side effects.
We’ll discuss all of the potential side effects. As it’s a safe procedure and there are very few incidents of side effects, don’t overthink them.
- Reaction to anesthesia
- Salivary gland damage
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Facial nerve damage
- Loss of expression
- Excess removal of fat
- Cardiac and pulmonary systemic side effects
- Facial asymmetry
The final result may be slightly different than your expectation. You shouldn’t be depressed about that. Talk to your surgeon for this reason. He/she will explain all of the conditions and outcomes.
In this scenario, you may need to undergo another surgery for corrections.
When to Seek Emergency Care
- Abnormal heartbeat
- Chest pain
- Unusually severe pain
- Excessive prolonged bleeding
- Any signs of infection or bad breath.
If you experience any of the issues don’t hesitate and seek emergency care right away.
Buccal Fat Removal Cost
Buccal fat removal may cost $2000-5000$.
It depends on certain factors such as; surgeons fee, experience, post-procedure medications, surgical facility fee, etc.
It’s a cosmetic procedure and none of the cosmetic procedures covers by insurance.
So, you have to pay this money all by yourself.
Some Points To Make Sure
- Does the surgeon specially trained in plastic surgery as well as his experience level in this type of cosmetic surgical procedure.
- Your surgeon needs to explain the procedure in brief.
- Before and after images of his clients
- Know how to prepare yourself for the procedure
- Risk and complications
- Recovery period
- About the expectation and results.
Make sure your surgeon is a board-certified plastic surgeon and also a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
Buccal Fat Removal Summary
Buccal fat removal surgery is a safe procedure. Many models and actresses as well as other women are also doing this. If you have fat underneath the cheekbone and you are not happy with this. Then this procedure is for you.
If you search models with buccal fat removal surgery, you’ll find tons of evidence. It’s quite common nowadays.
You may wonder what will happen when you are older. When we grow older, our buccal fat reduces naturally. So, will it make you look ugly or something?
Here nothing to worry about it. It will not affect your result much. Some older citizens also told they are so happy with this procedure.
Usually, a surgeon doesn’t recommend this procedure for 50+ aged people.
As you read the full article, you already know the pros and cons of this procedure. Now it’s your call.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How much is buccal fat removal?
It costs between 2000-5000 USD and depends on some factors. Talk to your surgeons about getting the exact cost and if there is any offer.
What is buccal fat removal?
Buccal fat removal is a surgical procedure done by a plastic surgeon. The surgeon removes the extra fat from your buccal region underneath the cheekbone and makes your cheek looks thinner.
What is buccal fat pad removal?
Buccal fat removal and buccal fat pad removal are the same.
When do results start showing buccal fat removal?
It takes weeks to months depends on your health conditions and fitness. For the ultimate and complete result, you need to wait some months.